Sewing for Boys: Little Heartbreaker Trousers

Litlle Heartbreaker Trousers

I have been doing a lot of sewing recently but instead of producing lots of clothes for my boys, as I had hoped, I ended up with about six different incomplete projects on the go. I finally got fed up with this and stayed up late last night to finish these trousers for Casper. It was worth it though as I was woken by him this morning running in shouting “thank you for my trousers, thank you for my trousers” repeatedly. His favourite colour is red so if he is ever out with me when I’m fabric shopping he will gravitate towards lots of inappropriate red fabrics such as silk so it was a relief to find one that was suitable. We’ve been in London today so you can spot the London Eye in the background of the photos. Also, it finally snowed in the south of England last night so I also have a photo of him wearing the trousers while playing in the snow.

Snow!

The pattern is the ‘Little Heartbreaker Pants’ from the book ‘Sewing for Boys’ by Shelly Figueroa and Karen LePage. It has so many details that give the trouser a more professional finish such as pleats, contrasting pockets, a faux fly, an adjustable elastic waistband with contrasting waistband facing and cuffs. I hadn’t used a lot of the techniques before so they did take me a while to but I learned a lot. The pattern comes in sizes for ages 2/3, 4/5 and 6/7. Casper is three but is fairly tall so I opted for the age 4/5. Next time I will use 2/3 and add lots of length because these are really big on him and I had to pull the elastic in a lot for them to stay up. At least they will last a while though and I will definitely use this pattern again as I absolutely love the finished trousers.

Jumping trousers

Details collage

If you have any young boys to sew for I would really recommend ‘Sewing for Boys’. As the mother of two boys I have definitely found myself envying all of the lovely patterns for girls’ clothes that are available so I was really excited when I heard about this book and pre-ordered it straight away. When it arrived it definitely didn’t disappoint – it contains 24 different patterns for ages from newborn to 7 years old. There are several more items that I hope to make soon including a shirt and a reversible jacket and I think I will learn new techniques with every one. There is no reason why a lot of these patterns could not be used for girls’ clothing as well.

Trousers from the back

This entry was posted in Sewing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Sewing for Boys: Little Heartbreaker Trousers

1. shelly says:

These are very awesome! Thank you so much for the post!

2. Mum says:

Casper is becoming a very majestic model!

3. tina says:

Laura, you make me want to have a boy so I can dress him like that.

I can’t get over the cuteness of him, those trousers, the fabric, his entire ensemble and those photos you took. I don’t think a professional photoshoot would be any better.

I LOVE that he wants red silk when you go fabric shopping. Oh, I’ve been racking my brains where you took the photos. Is it the top floor of Tate Modern?

It’s 7am and you’ve already made my day:) thank you for that.

Happy Valentines to you and your 3 lads x

• Laura says:

Thanks Tina! It made my day to see your comment this morning. The photo is taken from the balcony of a flat quite high up in the tall building that’s roughly opposite Borough tube station. It’s quite an unusual perspective so I can see why you’ve been wondering.

4. Toni says:

Casper is quite the model, and what a talented mother he has!

5. Tracey Chalk says:

So gorgeous…and what a backdrop!

6. Beth says:

I’m also dying to know where you took the photos. That first one is awesome! And how sweet is it that he is so excited for his new trousers. You’ve got mad sewing skills too – pleats and a cuff – I’m impressed.

• Laura says:

Hopefully you’ve seen my reply to Tina about the location. It is lovely that he appreciates the things I sew, I’m sure that won’t last forever though.

7. Pingback: More Sewing for Boys: Kickin’ Back Trousers for Rowan | Craftstorming

8. Pingback: Sewing for Girls: A Little Heartbreaker Skirt | Craftstorming