Quackaroons and pond cupcakes

Quackaroons

I have been thinking about making some duck macarons for a while but as soon as the name of these popped into my head they waddled quickly to the top of my list. It also gave me the perfect opportunity to try out my new grass piping nozzle that I picked up at Cake International, providing the quackaroons with a pond cupcake surrounded by grass. I finished the ponds off by making grass cupcake wrappers with my digital cutter and some green card from Ikea, using a file I bought from Lettering Delights.

3 little ducks

The cupcakes are made using the ‘Chocolate buttermilk cake’ recipe from page 101 of the book ‘Tea with Bea’. It is the second recipe I’ve made from this book – the first was the ‘espresso Bourbon cake’ that I used for my Rainbow Hi Hats. Both recipes are really easy to follow yet the results are absolutely delicious, with deep dark chocolate flavour balanced by a lovely light texture. I used buttercream flavoured with lemon extract for both the pond decorations and to fill the macarons and the cupcakes offset the sweetness perfectly. The macarons themselves are made using my usual recipe, although without any spices. Once they had cooled I added the eyes using royal icing.

I have to say that they were my most challenging shape yet to pipe but I gradually got better. I have included a pdf template to download below for any of you who want to try them. My first attempts on the right in the photo below but even as I got better I struggled to keep the shapes consistent.

Piped quackaroon

Quackaroons Template

I’d recommend piping the body first – start from the front and pipe in a straight line then when you reach the tail ease off the pressure on the piping bag and twist while making a slight upward motion. Then you can then pipe the head easily, ensuring it meets with the body. Switch to a narrow nozzle to pipe the beak and keep the orange macaron batter slightly undermixed so it doesn’t spread. I used powder colours for these macarons and ended up overmixing the yellow in an effort to combine the colour thoroughly, so I’d suggest adding it in with the dry ingredients before combining with the meringue. This does mean that when you’re making more than one colour you need to divide the dry ingredients and meringue into the correct proportions. Make sure you weigh your mixer bowl in advance so you can calculate what the meringue weighs.

I attempted a few freehand ducklings using the leftover macaron mix but most of them didn’t survive unfortunately. I was pleased with how the letters baked though – I was able to remove them from the baking paper easily and they even got the tiniest feet.

Ducklings

The cupcake decorations were fairly simple – I spread the blue buttercream using a palette knife then piped the green around the edges with my grass piping nozzle. I love the effect you get with this nozzle but if you don’t have one you could always pipe green around the edges with a standard nozzle then try to spike it a bit by touching it with a flat knife and pulling upwards.

Cupcake decoration

So do you think you’d be able to eat these cute little quackaroons? I don’t seem to be having any trouble.

Quackaroons ready to eat

I am hoping to sneak these into the latest Mactweets challenge – Mac Attack #29 : Colour My World Macarons – where we were set the task of making macarons with two colours in the shell or a different colour top and bottom.

This entry was posted in Baking and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Quackaroons and pond cupcakes

1. Lora says:

I can’t even believe how adorable these are. Dying….

2. tina says:

You kill me woman. Either you post pics of the most adorable boys ever OR you make these gorgeous Quackaroons… I HATE Macaroons but these look incredible.

Can you please write a book, use your boys as models and showcase your sewing and baking. I want to own one and have it signed. Thank you. Oh, I’ll be waiting patiently.

• Laura says:

You’re so lovely Tina. I can’t believe you hate macarons! I suppose they’re probably too sweet for your tastes.

3. Ahem, what Tina said. :D
    I’ve never had a macaron before but I’ve always marvelled at the skill and artistry that obviously goes into making them.

Is there no end to your talents?! These are absolutely picture perfect.

4. Heather says:

So cute, almost a shame to eat them

5. Michèle says:

Soooo, so cute !!! :)

6. Jodi says:

These are the cutest things I’ve ever seen! Quackeroons! so adorable–great job!

7. abby says:

quackaroons! What an awesome name! They look totally cute, but I’m sure I’d have no trouble eating them either ;)

8. These are insanely cute – you are so talented! I’ve seen some amazing macarons in the Mactweets challenges, but I think yours are consistently the best :-)

9. Yinx says:

these are jawdroppingly cute, you’re really talented!

10. Gemma says:

WOW! These are incredible, well done :D

11. Great job! I am trying to figure out what kind of cake/cupcakes to make for my little one’s first birthday this weekend.

12. Kam says:

Oh my goodness, how awesome are these!!! I will have to try these with my daughter, she will die!!! Thanks for sharing with us!

13. They are absolutely perfect!!! Great pictures too. :) Well done you!

14. Jill Colonna says:

Laura, these are incredible! Quackaroons or quackarons, hehe. Absolutely adorable. Bravo! I’m sharing your link with our Mad About Macarons friends on Facebook. They’ll LOVE this!

15. Kasia says:

those are amazing!

16. misbah says:

They are so adorble :)

17. These are adorable, and so impressive! I still can’t even get the round macarons to come out right!?!

18. buggalcrafts says:

So cute for a BABY SHOWER!!!!!

19. I love the name, I love the duck macaroons, I love the concept of the cupcakes! So wonderful.

20. Inder says:

These are unbelievable. Awesome. Joe was looking over my shoulder and saying “Ducks!! In the WATER!” Whereas I was just thinking, YUMMY. :-)

21. Pingback: Sew Yummy: Marimekko-roons | Craftstorming